Scroll Top

About Us

Welcome to The Nelson

A little bit of history – still in the making!

The Nelson was first recorded at a public house called ‘The Mermaid’ in 1685. Horatio Nelson’s father, Edmund, was the rector of All Saint’s Church at Ulph (directly opposite the pub) and was present when The Mermaid was renamed in tribute as ‘The Admiral Nelson’ in 1805, directly after the Battle of Trafalgar. This theme was copied in Burnham Thorpe some 2 years later when ‘The Plough’ became ‘The Lord Nelson’ in 1807.

During the following 200 years, the name changed from ‘The Admiral Nelson’ to ‘The Admiral Lord Nelson’, then to ‘The Lord Nelson’. In 2005, on the 200th Anniversary of the pub’s name, Trafalgar and the death of Nelson, the name was drastically changed to ‘The Jockey’, following a change of ownership. This change did not go down to well with the local community; as the bunting was out in the streets in celebration of the 200th Anniversary!

In 2011, the previous owners bought The Jockey and decided to restore her name as ‘The Nelson’. Since then, the building has been extensively renovated and now offers 7 bedrooms, a coffee bar serving delicious homemade cakes, a new food concept, and the fabulous beer garden.

About The Nelson, Burnham Market